Pierce Point Ranch Barn: Ghosts from the Past

October 22, 2013

The Barn from Nathan Moody on Vimeo.

Delighted to share a wonderful series of video imposed with video effects by an old friend from Maine, Nathan Moody, now residing here in the Bay Area and using his creative and tech skills to create modern magical classics like this one.  I love it!

The location of the video is in Point Reyes National Seashore, and known as "Pierce Point Ranch".  This is the northern most part of Point Reyes, and reached by taking the fork to the right off Sir Francis Drake Blvd, heading North onto Tomales Point Road.  Pierce Point Ranch is out at the end, past Kehoe Beach, and before the long hike out to the tip of Tomales Point.  Pierce Point Ranch was a thriving dairy farm until 1973.

From nps.gov site:

"The Pierce Point Ranch on Tomales Point ceased operations in 1973. Three years later, Congress authorized creation of the wilderness area incorporating that ranch as habitat for the reintroduction of tule elk. Beginning in 1980, NPS invested in the rehabilitation of the ranch core, citing it as the best example of a nineteenth century west Marin dairy ranch. Pierce Point Ranch was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985, and was subsequently opened to the public as an interpretive site."

Moody is not the only one to use this building for personal expression and art.  Pierce Point Ranch has been painted countless times by local Marin artists and is photographed daily by local photographers and tourists alike.  Some of my favorite paintings of the location include works by Martha Borge, Christin Coy, Richard Lindenberg and Barbara Lawrence.  I have yet to paint the barns at Pierce Point, but I guess I'm due.  Thanks for reminding me, Nathan.

In honor of Halloween, ghosts from our past and all, I will share three freaky and ghostly memories from my past with Nathan et all...

1.  Nathan had a gas mask in his first SF apartment near Clement. This, and his amazing but wild sketchbook drawings used to freak me out, being the polite and sheltered Connecticut gal I was back then.  Today, it is commonplace to see gas masks and surgical masks in art and murals around SF Mission District and the current street art of Eddie Colla, and of course, Banksy.
2.  I am ever so grateful for the many summers I worked as a lifeguard and swim instructor at country clubs in New England, updating my skills each year.  I pulled Nathan out of a black lake in Maine when I thought he was goofing around, but he really could have drowned.  When I see the amazing work Nathan is doing at Stimulant, and the 10 mile kayak races he is doing around the Bay Area and beyond, I thank God for making me do the right thing in that split second when I pulled Nate out of the water.
3. I haven't had the privilege to actually speak to Nathan since 2000, when I separated from our very good friend.  It is a shame to have lost two incredibly bright, talented male friends that I respected so much back then, and there isn't a day I don't wish both of them well and hope our paths do cross again someday.  Hopefully, we won't all be wearing gas masks or having to pull each other out of the water.

Nathan, you are doing amazing things.  Keep up the good work.

Until we meet again...  Peace.

No comments: