In the Studio Today... Graphic Design for AWD

September 25, 2011

I'm enjoying some little design projects at work that feature Art Works Downtown, 2nd Fridays Art Walk, and the Dead of the Dead Exhibit.  Today I have been working on several iterations of the 2nd Fridays Art Walk poster, and an ad for the Pacific Sun.  It's challenging to fit everything you want in a 300 x 250 pixel ad, but I think I am happy with the latest drafts.  I'm sure it will change as the week goes on.
The last week at work, I did a postcard design for the "Dia de los Muertos" Day of the Dead exhibit that is going into the 1337 Gallery at Art Works Downtown this week.  Installation begins tomorrow, Monday, September 26.  I love the postcard design, that is based on a Mexican tile that my partner got in Texas in the 1990's.  The tile had a skeleton with cowboy boots, drinking tequila and a bottle with limes nearby.  I adapted part of the skeleton to be holding a wine glass, for our "wine tasting" Art Walks, and I expanded on the floral design to make a very LARGE flower so that the petals could hold the artist's names inside.  I added leaves to hold the names of the curators.  My team at work helped me to revise the design to perfection.  We really have a great team at Art Works Downtown!  Hope you will come to the opening reception, October 14th!
 


No comments: