In the Studio Today... 3 More Tiny Cow Paintings

November 28, 2010

My tiniest cow painting ever, sold on "Black Friday" at the Marin Arts Gallery, "Small Wonders" show on 4th Street, in downtown San Rafael.  This show is ongoing, now through January 8th.  Meanwhile, another person had been telling me he was going to buy this painting, and a third person called yesterday, wanting to buy the same painting as well.  Now in progress... 3 more paintings, commissioned from the first.

Wow, 3 people wanting the same painting in one week!  Is this my lucky break?  Well, that's far from the truth.  These little paintings were priced to sell, at $125.  Hardly a fortune for me, and 30% goes back to the Marin Arts Council.  When you add in the cost of framing and materials, well... let's just say I probably come out with about have of the cost in my pocket.  It's not going to make you rich folks, but to have that pleasure from all these viewers, coming back to you; this is the real reward.

The call yesterday went something like this, "Hello, my partner and I went through the gallery twice, and decided that your tiny cow painting was our favorite, and we had to have it: It evoked the solitude of West Marin, and we just loved it".  Meanwhile, another buyer had expressed that it reminded the of their sister's wedding in Switzerland

A week before this, a woman from San Francisco called who had seen one of my cycling paintings and she instantly knew it had to be a gift for her sister, who loves to ride her bike on Lucas Valley Road.  She emailed later, after purchasing to tell me she loved it, and was getting lots of compliments.

You never know how your painting may touch another viewer, but you always hope to hear these comments, as it helps an artist to continue to move forward on new works.  Thank you to my supporters out there, who are giving me lots of love this holiday season.

No comments: