In the Studio Today... Family Portrait Commission

Tuesday, October 6, 2009
(18" x 24". Click image, above, to enlarge)
I spent most of the month of September, working on this family portrait commission. It was a combination of 4 photos; all heads composited first in Photoshop, and then a color change to "Cobalt Blue", the recipient's favorite color. This is an 18" x 24" canvas.

I am working on establishing a portion of my website dedicated to family portraits, ballet, and child portraits. I currently do not have much of this on my site, as I have primarily focused on the Marin Landscape, with occassional buildings or cycling figures thrown in. Portraits are very tedious work, and literally back breaking. I was lucky enough to be able to get to a pool to swim today, after a session of 5 hours straight at the canvas to finish the painting.

I hope the family truly enjoys this gift. I am so glad to have reconnected with some of my East Coast friends on Facebook, and how great to be able to do some work for them. I have had two commissions from old High School friends recently, and it is really nice. Friends helping friends. Hope to do more of these paintings in the future. I enjoy getting back to the days when I painted from models for hours. I need to dig out some of my portrait work from College days. That would be fun to share.

No comments: